Monday, October 10, 2011

Cover Letter for Public Relations

A public relations officer’s job involves maintaining a healthy relationship with clients, effectively communicate with third party and the media, be creative and innovative, manage tricky situations, involve in publicity and promotional activities to name a few. A cover letter for public relations should highlight all these skills and if possible give examples of the best work done till date to gain immediate recognition.

This profile is quite demanding yet interesting. Besides one can elaborately talk about their experiences giving examples in such a profile and thus cover letters proves very helpful and effective. Candidate’s language skill is tested with the choice of words and the format of the letter. It therefore becomes very important for the applicant to give a lot of thought before drafting a cover letter. Errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation needs to be strictly avoided as it create a very wrong impression of the candidate seeking for a job in this profile.

The letter should be drafted in a professional manner. The structure, contents and layout of the letter needs to be accurate and as per industry standards. Apart from this, it should be quite impressive for the employers to shortlist the candidate without a second though.

Given below is a sample resume cover letter for public relations jobs. Applicants can make use of it before drafting a cover letter in this category.

Sample Resume Cover Letter

Yong S. Stokely,
1464 Sardis Sta,
Plano, TX 75074,
(817)-630 3367.

May 1, 2005.

Mr. Carlos P. Inman,
Charlington  Press,
2525 Fowler Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30303

Dear, Mr. Inman,

I am writing to express my keen interest in the Editorial Assistant position you advertised with the University of Washington's Center for Career Services. I will be receiving my Bachelor of Arts degree in English this coming June, and I am eager to join a small publishing house where I can use my skills in writing, editing, proofreading, research, and critical analysis. Based on my knowledge and objectives, I believe that my educational background and abilities would be an excellent match for the Editorial Assistant position.

Through my academic work in English language, literature, and writing, I am prepared to make meaningful contributions to editorial discussions and to function as a member of your editorial team. In addition to my university training, I have held editorial positions with Bricolage, the University of Washington's undergraduate literary arts journal, and with Steubing Press, a small publishing house specializing in nonfiction and regional publications for the Pacific Northwest. These volunteer and intern positions have provided me with experience in editing, proofreading, fact checking, production scheduling, working with off-site vendors, sales, marketing, and customer service.

My positions with a small publication and a small press have taught me to manage my time efficiently to meet deadlines, adapt readily to new responsibilities, work as a team member, and function well under pressure. The writing skills that I developed through my background with an English major have been further refined in both of these positions, where I learned to write concise, persuasive descriptions of new publications for press releases, catalog statements, and website content. Both positions offered me an in-depth understanding of the important and varied behind-the-scenes work involved in book publishing.

I hope you’ll agree that the combination of my academic training and internship work in publishing has prepared me to meet the demands of a literary editorial position with Charlington  Press. Thank you for your time and consideration. I will contact you within a week to follow up on your opinion.

Sincerely,

(Signature in blue or black ink)

Yong S. Stokely.

Encl: Resume

The highlight of a public relations cover letter should be the candidate’s skills and experiences if any. If possible the responsibilities undertaken in the previous job can be listed in bullet points for better readability.

If you are searching for different samples of public relations resumes check out this best page on BSR.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment